This is the Gerber Curve. The photo above shows how to use the Curve as a pot lifter. The spring is strong enough to hold the Curve on while lifting a BOT full of water. Consider using something like a Buff as an insulator to protect your hand after removing the BOT from the fire . The Curve is a tool in this kit because:
- It is an effective pot lifter (that is actually a bottle opener)
- It has a pen blade
- It has a Phillips head that can unscrew the screws in a Cold Steel Shovel
- It has an awl that can make pilot holes for screws when using a different handle in the Cold Steel Shovel
- Drill out/grind out the flat head screwdriver blade to make it into a can opener
- It is a locking blade system (safety first)
This one tool improves the usefulness of many of the other tools in the survival kit and the UL kit. At .8 oz it is a bargain in weight. The cost was negligible.
If the BOT is a serious consideration, then the Curve must go with it.